Wednesday 8 February 2012

Evaluation of School Magazine


Front cover
I annotated the magazine “Bishopbriggs Academy” magazine cover, I wanted my magazine cover to look nothing like this as it looked boring and un-finished, this is because there is more white on the page than actual things to look at and read. I only liked one thing which they have done and that is the idea of having a very large picture of their school badge, I was originally thinking about going along with this Idea, but in the end I didn’t even go with the schools badge as I thought the cover would look better without it, instead I chose to put it on my contents page, small in the top right corner which kept it looking neat.

On my front cover I went for one main dominant image which took up the whole page. This is the complete opposite to what Bishopbriggs went with. I chose to go with the one image as I think it looks neat and tidy. Also, by having many images on the front cover I think it gives it less of an effect on the audience to when there is only one image as the eyes on the one image catch your eye and seem to follow you until you have a read of it. Also the image on my cover is a mid-close up, whereas Bishopbriggs’ images are either a long shot or a normal mid shot. This also doesn’t give the same effect as having a mid-close up as the audience will not be able to make connection with the magazine and the person on the front.

Bishopsbriggs title took up about one quarter of the page which I decided to go with also. This is because the title/name of the magazine is one of the most important things on the cover of any magazine as it is showing what it is called. Consumers may  then want to tell a friend about a magazine and if the title was tiny at the top of the page it wouldn’t stick in the readers mind unlike if the title was very bold and large. The thing I didn’t like about Bishopsbriggs title was that one of the words was at an angle, this makes the magazine look childish and unprofessional. So, I just went with the straight across the page style.

Contents
I analysed George Stevenson’s contents page, I thought about kind of replicating their style of it as I like how they split it up into three different sections as it breaks the complexity of it up and it makes easier for the reader to find it something if they are only looking for one specific thing.

On their front cover they have used a background colour then didn’t carry it on to the contents. I thought this was a bad design when I first looked at it, but when I came to choosing the background of mine I couldn’t pick a good enough colour which was going to make it look neat. Every colour I went for made it look too childish. I even took a photo of the background which is on my front cover, but it just didn’t seem to look right. So, in the end I tried just using a white background and out of all of them this one looked the best.

They have decided not to go with any images on their contents, when you think of this in your head it doesn’t seem like a good idea but when you actually see it for real I didn’t even notice no images, as the coloured blocks has taken the images place. I always had the idea of putting photos on my contents as you imagine them to be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment